|LockdownTopic: Harassment PreventionGrade Level: 6-9
Todd Slichter has managed to steer clear of the rumors, gossip, insults, and fights rampant throughout his middle school. That is until Todd's lab partner, Stacia, begins bullying his other lab partner, Byron. As Todd and Byron build an unlikely friendship, Todd begins to feel empathy for his new friend, especially when Stacia launches a vicious campaign of cyberbullying aimed at Byron. Still, it takes a lockdown to finally push Todd into action.
- To show that watching bullying/harassment and doing nothing can exacerbate a harassment situation
- To explore reasons why students choose not to take action when they see someone being harassed
- To show how students can take action
- To demonstrate possible positive and negative consequences of taking action
- To show that positive self-identification is a motivator for taking action